Top News America

Friday, December 11, 2009

Adam Sandler's 'Hanukkah Song' takes center stage

When you think of classic holiday songs, "Jingle Bell Rock," "White Christmas" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" come to mind.

But one of the most popular holiday Adam Sandlersongs has nothing to do with snowmen, reindeer, trees or even jolly ol' St. Nick himself.

Comedian/actor Adam Sandler's seasonal favorite, "The Hanukkah Song," is a hilarious roll call of Jewish actors and actresses that remains a favorite of holiday partygoers everywhere.

Marcia: There aren't too many catchy Hanukkah songs I've heard. In fact, this is the only one I've ever heard. I think it really raised religious tolerance when we heard of all the cool people who are Jewish like David Lee Roth, Arthur Fonzerelli and my favorite, Paul Newman and Goldie Hawn, both half-Jewish. In the words of Sandler, "Put them together, what a fine-looking Jew!"

Dustin: Same here. I really can't name another Hanukkah song off the top of my head. Sandler's goofball charm comes through here in the way he rhymes all the celebrities together.

Marcia: I agree, he is charming in a goofy way, definitely not a rock and roll superstar in the musical sense.

Dustin: A rock superstar he is not. This was the time when Sandler's film choices weren't questionable; when he could get away with making hilarious, though somewhat juvenile, comedies like "Billy Madison" and "Happy Gilmore." Now, not so much.

Marcia: This song did translate into an animated movie, "Eight Crazy Nights," in 2002. I wish it hadn't. Sandler looked OK animated, but most of the other characters were really nasty looking and not in a funny way.

Dustin: Movie aside, this is a great tune. And you don't necessarily have to be Jewish to appreciate it.

Marcia: I doubt gin and tonics and marijuanakkah are part of the Hanukkah tradition. They probably are part of Sandler's tradition, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share/Bookmark